Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Random book advice.

Thank God for the second hand book shop on Streatham Hill. For two quid a book you find some real gems in there. Recently I've picked up about twenty titles I'd previosuly sought after for a fraction of the price I would have paid. Compared with Bookends up on Tottenham Court Road, the shop in Streatham is a book lover's paradise.

He's new to me but if you ever see a Niall Griffiths book it will be worth picking up. Sheepshagger is what brought him to my attention and it's powerful blend of coarse, expletive-ridden dialogue and intensely colourful, almost poetic narrative affords the book a rare quality that sets it apart from much of what I have read recently. Wreckage is also looking pretty enticing although I have not started to read it properly yet.

So the moral of the story is this: go and buy a book by Niall Griffiths.

3 Comments:

At 6:39 pm, Blogger Will said...

What's the address Phu? Might pop down sometime.

 
At 11:56 am, Blogger Phu said...

I'll find out for you, at the moment all I know is it's on your right as you get the bus in from Brixton, and it's run by the British Heart Foundation.

I mean it's not Borders, but whenever I go there I always find loads of books I want to buy, in usually perfect condition.

 
At 1:59 pm, Blogger Will said...

Sounds good to me...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home