Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Grumpy Londoners.

Stood in the bakers a minute ago, I felt a nudge in my back. It felt like the kind of nudge a friend might give as they crept up behind you to say hello, so I thought I was about to find a familiar face.

Nope.

Instead, a sullen stare meets my investigation. Offering no explanation, the nudger left it to me to speak first. "What?" He pointed towards the counter: "You're being served." It's not that he barked this response at me, but the tone was defiantly grumpy. Even though I know the girl behind the counter is waiting for the lady in front to pay, I turn around and make sure she's not waiting to serve me. Wish I hadn't, because I knew she wasn't, and it would have been better to tell him he was wrong without even looking round. Anyway, I turn back towards him and tell him look, she's not ready to serve me, and what does he do? He just maintains his stony disposition and looks away from me. Am I being pedantic or overly sensitive or something, or am I right in thinking a little apology or just some form of speech would have been an appropriate response from him?

I honestly do not understand why people walk around with such a bad attitude all the time. I don't know about other cities, but London is absolutely full of these unpleasant individuals seemingly intent on turning everybody else's day sour. The example I just gave is fairly minor, admittedly, although it did irk me nonetheless. But much worse awaits the visitor to this city who has the bad luck of running into one of these miserable gits.

Oops, look at the time. I'd love to carry on moaning about the moaners, but I've got to get to work.

1 Comments:

At 12:38 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You were definitely owed an apology.

Well, as London is the business capital of the UK, the ensuing pressures must certainly turn people into their worse halves ('A' type personalities), which in turn would go to producing a general social climate wherein many who live, or exist, will inevitably pick up on the negative aura, or be affected by the relatively greater concentration of 'alienation' there. But i expect you knew that anyway.

Personally, i never liked london because of that. My experiences up north were far more pleasant i must say.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home