Tuesday, January 31, 2006

If this is you in a good mood...

"In speaking to the people, my message is this: 'You know, we're not going to tell you how to live your life, but we would like you to be free'"

Does Bush honestly believe that ordinary Iranians are going to swallow that? You can be free, so long as you do what we tell you (even though we don't want to tell you what to do).

"But to the government, our message is that if you want to be a part of the family of nations, give up your nuclear weapons ambitions."

Straightforward enough, and I'm not here to argue whether we should sit back and watch Iran develop nuclear weapons, but If I was a member of the Iranian government my reply would be "I don't want to join a family if it means playing the role of the infant, obeying you the father.

Regardless, the path to hostility is unfolding at an ever increasing rate. In response to the decision to refer Iran to the Security Council, chief Iranian nuclear negotiator Ali Larijani has warned of an "end to diplomacy". Well, if the recent mood between Iran and the West has been one of diplomacy, I dread to think what's in store.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home