Thursday, November 24, 2005

Benedict doesn't want Peter Pan to grow up.

Being brought up a Catholic wasn't all bad. I maintain a belief in God to this day, and value things such as kindness, honesty, and dedication. Although my parents instilled me with these values and I give them all credit, it is true that being brought up with a religion can help cultivate these character traits.

But there were things about the Catholic teachings that, with hindsight, I do not believe were all that helpful for a growing child. For instance, we were taught that God and our loved ones who might have passed away were always watching us; the implication: Behave.

The 'mind forged manacles' of a constant self policing, almost paranoid state of consciousness were not what I would call a healthy playground for the adolescent experience.

As I grew and began to discover the world through different routes I became increasingly aware of the friction between the opinions I was forming and the mindset of the Good Catholic. One by one, belief in things I had been taught eroded. Inevitably, I eventually moved away from the church completely, feeling it was not for me.

I now wonder if my own experience could in effect be viewed as a microcosm of Humanity's relationship with the Catholic church itself. Once we were told the Sun rotated around Earth, which was flat. Then along came the opening of the eyes and the church had to forget that little nugget of worldly knowledge.

The same with Adam and Eve, and all the rest.

At this point I should acknowledge the American blogger, whose name I cannot remember, who still does believe the earth is flat and that anybody who disputes this is a blashphemer. Honourable mentions to you, sir.

Sure enough, one by one, people have had to adapt their formerly staunch beliefs to accomodate the knowledge they have acquired. Nowadays you hear people arguing the church was never really against homosexuality in the first place, it was all a big misunderstanding. This might wash in the Anglican church, which was only formed in order to make life a little easier by changing the rules anyway. But in the Catholic church it doesn't really work.

And so in recognition of this, Pope Benedict sticks to his guns and sends out a message telling the church it has a duty to eliminate the homosexual element of the priesthood.

Well, maybe it didn't sound quite as 'Terminatorish' as that.

But you get the idea.

As I read the story in today's paper, I had to laugh when it said 'gay activists reacted with dismay'. Dismay? You mean they thought the Catholic church was actually about to send a letter to Elton John, commending him on the example he sets for youngsters?

In consideration, I would suggest Benedict has realised that with each little concession, each little accomodation of New World thinking, the church is getting nearer and nearer to becoming an adult that has opened his eyes fully. An adult that has done that will do away with the things of his childhood (I'm sure that comes from some old bible parable) and move on to a better understanding.

The solution?

Like the American blogger whose name I can't remember will tell you - close your eyes.

2 Comments:

At 6:38 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

Spot on.

I never got how people wanted this new Pope to be more "liberal". He's a Catholic Pope for goodness sake.

It's a bit like moaning because the new woman at weight-watchers still insists on you trying to lose weight. If you don't want to lose weight, don't go to weight-watchers. Go down the chippy instead.

You want liberal, don't go catholic, go to some other Church.

I apologise if this doesn't make sense. I'm running a high fever today, but I know what I mean.

 
At 8:59 am, Blogger Phu said...

lol, that makes sense, it's a pretty good summary actually.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home